Saturday, May 24, 2008

Partner-Up and Be Accountable


T
omorrow will be a week since I did any blogging. My how time does fly! It has been a successful and productive week. I received new insights into myself. I started a partner-up program with a friend of mine on remembering to take pills, drink the right amount of water, and daily exercise. We are accountable to each other everyday via email or phone.

Have you found yourself putting things off because you either forget or just don't want to do them. Those are the things that you need to be accountable to someone in order to get them done. In the past year I discovered I do better when I am accountable to someone. That is difficult when you work at home. There is no one (except my husband) who stands over my shoulder to make sure I am doing what I need to do or how I do it. There is no one to rely on for criticism or praise. I must set the standards for myself. And what if I procrastinate? Scary question, indeed!

Work is not the only area that may need to have some sort of accountably to get accomplished. Weight Loss, exercise, watching your anger, handling finances, and so many more things get out of hand if you don't have someone you can rely on to 'rein you in.' Only you know the areas that affect you.

Some of the things we need to do seem to trivial to partner-up. Those are just the things that we need the most help doing! Those are the things we tend to allow to fall by the wayside. In my life I don't drink enough water and get dehydrated. I also forget to take pills. I have good intentions about other things and then just don't follow through. Partnering-up with my friend helps me remember because I know that I have to tell her if I did or didn't do it that day. Yes, I do feel guilty if I have to tell her I didn't do something. So then I have to work on ridding myself of the guilt. But isn't it easier to rid yourself of guilt on something simple? That teaches you how to rid yourself of guilt on major issues.

I find that partnering-up with my friend has actually opened a new door for me. I look forward to my mini-jogging. I look forward to seeing if I can beat my water drinking goal. And it really feels good to know when I take my pills on a regular basis. Luckily her issues are the same as mine, so it is even better! However, the issues don't need to be the same. They just need to be something you put off or forget on a regular basis.

We have done this for a week and it is working well for us. After our week is up we are going to add more goals to our accountability. I think setting a specific time to go to bed and get up would be a good one for me. I also want to change the type of foods I eat in a week. There are more but those will suffice for now. The following week I can add more.

I am sure there are areas in your life where you could Partner-Up and be accountable. So why don't you grab a friend either on the internet or local and give it a try for a month. See what you accomplish. I would love to hear what this experience brought to your life.

No comments: